The Firm's administrative partner, Andy was born and raised in Rhode Island. He received his B.A. from the University of Rhode Island in 1975, and his J.D. from Albany Law School of Union College in 1978. Andy is a member of Friendship Lodge of Touro Fraternal Association, as well as a former President and Board member. He is also a member of the Rhode Island Jewish Cemetery Association.
The focus of Andy's practice includes business formation, commercial and residential real estate, commercial transactions, contracts and leases, employment contracts and human resources, estate planning, partnerships & limited liability companies, probate administration, real estate & title litigation, taxation & State tax litigation, zoning and land use. He also provides counsel to non-profit organizations, including Temples and social service agencies, and lectures on topics relating to revocable trusts and avoidance of probate.
Andy successfully litigated Rhode Island's most important tax residency case, DeBlois v. Clark, 764 A.2d 727 (R.I. 2001), which has resulted in potential savings to many Rhode Islanders who have moved their primary residence to Florida. He was recently successful in overturning an IRS audit opinion relating to capital gains treatment for inventors under IRC § 1235.
Andy may also be contacted through his paralegal, Cathy Brien, at [email protected] - 401-751-1500, Ext. 111.
Areas of Practice
- Estate Planning and Probate
- Corporate Formations, Business Entities and Shareholder Disputes
- Sale of Businesses
- Real Estate Sales and Purchases
- Tax Litigation
- Rhode Island, 1978
- U.S. District Court District of Rhode Island, 1978
- U.S. Tax Court
- Albany Law School Union University, Albany, New York
- J.D. - 1978
- University of Rhode Island, Kingston, Rhode Island
- B.A. - 1975
- Honors: With Distinction
- Major: Political Science
- DeBlois v. Clark, 764 A2d 727, 2001, Rhode Island Supreme Court
- Estate Planning and Revocable Trusts
- Rhode Island Estate Tax, Bryant College MST Studies, 2011
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Friendship Lodge of Touro Fraternal Association, Member
- Rhode Island Jewish Cemetery Association, Member
Past Employment Positions
- Armstrong, Gibbons & Gnys, LLP, Partner
Pro Bono Activities
- Past President - Friendship Lodge Touro Fraternal Association