With over twenty-five years of courtroom experience, the focus of Carl's practice includes:
• Business litigation, commercial litigation, commercial evictions, real estate litigation, bid protest, contract litigation, non-competition litigation, breach of fiduciary duty, shareholder litigation, injunctions & restraining orders, preparation of business contracts.
• Construction litigation, mechanics' liens, preparation of construction contracts.
• Personal injury litigation, including construction accidents, motor vehicle accidents, nursing home negligence, premises liability, products liability, workplace accidents and wrongful death.
• Arbitrations, trials and mediation.
• Criminal defense, including motor vehicle offenses, environmental crimes and white collar crimes.
Carl may also be contacted through his paralegal, Lynn Della Torre, at 401-751-1500, Ext. 114 - [email protected]
Carl's notable experience includes the following:
• $1,625,000.00 as compensation for personal injuries suffered in a car accident.
• $600,000.00 as compensation for personal injuries suffered in a car accident.
• $420,000.00 as compensation for personal injuries suffered in a workplace accident.
• Lead counsel for successful prosecution for injuries to a child from a defective gas fireplace.
• Lead counsel for successful defense of six million dollar shareholder derivative claim.
• Lead counsel for successful prosecution and defense of claims of violations of employment agreements and non-competition agreements.
• Lead counsel for successful lawsuits and mechanics' lien actions on behalf of homeowners, contractors and material suppliers.
• Lead counsel for successful lawsuit against an investment company for breach of fiduciary duty and misrepresentation.
• Lead counsel for successful lawsuit against a stock brokerage firm for breach of fiduciary duty.
• Lead counsel for successful lawsuit to rescind the purchase of a condominium for breach of warranty and misrepresentation.
• Lead counsel for successful lawsuit to compel the sale of real estate.
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- Business Litigation
- Construction Litigation
- Personal Injury
- Criminal Defense
- Rhode Island, 1985
- Massachusetts, 1986
- District of Columbia, 1986
- U.S. District Court District of Rhode Island, 1987
- U.S. District Court District of Massachusetts, 2010
- Boston University School of Law, Boston, Massachusetts
- J.D. - 1985
- University of Rhode Island , Kingston, Rhode Island
- B.A. - 1982
- Honors: cum laude
- Major: Political Science & English
- 1112 Charles, LP v. Fornell Entertainment, Inc. 159 A3d 619 (RI 2017)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Rhode Island Bar Association, Member
- Massachusetts Bar Association, Member
- Rhode Island Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- Rhode Island Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys, Member
- National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys, Member
Past Employment Positions
- Armstrong, Gibbons & Gnys, LLP, Partner
- Rhode Island Department of Attorney General, Assistant Attorney General
Pro Bono Activities
- Greater Providence Hebrew Free Loan Association