Carl S. Levin
Carl was born and raised in Maryland. He received his B.A. from the University of Rhode Island, cum laude, in 1982; and his J.D. from The Boston University School of Law in 1985. Carl is admitted to practice before the Rhode Island and Massachusetts courts, and the United States District Court for the Districts of Rhode Island and Massachusetts. Carl served as a prosecutor for the Rhode Island Department of Attorney General for over ten years, where he successfully prosecuted murder, arson, driving fatality, narcotics and weapons offenses, environmental crimes and white collar crimes. Carl began his legal career in 1985 as a Staff Counsel for the United States House of Representatives, Subcommittee on Legislation and National Security.
With over twenty-five years of courtroom experience, the focus of Carl's practice includes:
• Business litigation, commercial litigation, commercial evictions, real estate litigation, bid protest, contract litigation, non-competition litigation, breach of fiduciary duty, shareholder litigation, injunctions & restraining orders, preparation of business contracts.
• Construction litigation, mechanics' liens, preparation of construction contracts.
• Personal injury litigation, including construction accidents, motor vehicle accidents, nursing home negligence, premises liability, products liability, workplace accidents and wrongful death.
• Arbitrations, trials and mediation.
• Criminal defense, including motor vehicle offenses, environmental crimes and white collar crimes.
Carl may also be contacted through his paralegal, Lynn Della Torre, at 401-751-1500, Ext. 114 - [email protected].
Carl's notable experience includes the following:
• $1,625,000.00 as compensation for personal injuries suffered in a car accident.
• $600,000.00 as compensation for personal injuries suffered in a car accident.
• $420,000.00 as compensation for personal injuries suffered in a workplace accident.
• Lead counsel for successful prosecution for injuries to a child from a defective gas fireplace.
• Lead counsel for successful defense of six million dollar shareholder derivative claim.
• Lead counsel for successful prosecution and defense of claims of violations of employment agreements and non-competition agreements.
• Lead counsel for successful lawsuits and mechanics' lien actions on behalf of homeowners, contractors and material suppliers.
• Lead counsel for successful lawsuit against an investment company for breach of fiduciary duty and misrepresentation.
• Lead counsel for successful lawsuit against a stock brokerage firm for breach of fiduciary duty.
• Lead counsel for successful lawsuit to rescind the purchase of a condominium for breach of warranty and misrepresentation.
• Lead counsel for successful lawsuit to compel the sale of real estate.
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- Business Litigation
- Construction Litigation
- Personal Injury
- Criminal Defense
- Rhode Island, 1985
- Massachusetts, 1986
- District of Columbia, 1986
- U.S. District Court District of Rhode Island, 1987
- U.S. District Court District of Massachusetts, 2010
- Boston University School of Law, Boston, Massachusetts
- J.D. - 1985
- University of Rhode Island , Kingston, Rhode Island
- B.A. - 1982
- Honors: cum laude
- Major: Political Science & English
- 1112 Charles, LP v. Fornell Entertainment, Inc. 159 A3d 619 (RI 2017)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Rhode Island Bar Association, Member
- Massachusetts Bar Association, Member
- Rhode Island Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- Rhode Island Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys, Member
- National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys, Member
Past Employment Positions
- Armstrong, Gibbons & Gnys, LLP, Partner
- Rhode Island Department of Attorney General, Assistant Attorney General
Pro Bono Activities
- Greater Providence Hebrew Free Loan Association