Carl was born and raised in Maryland. He received his B.A. from the University of Rhode Island, cum laude, in 1982; and his J.D. from The Boston University School of Law in 1985. Carl is admitted to practice before the Rhode Island and Massachusetts courts, and the United States District Court for the Districts of Rhode Island and Massachusetts.
With over twenty-five years of courtroom experience, the focus of Carl's litigation practice includes:
- Business litigation, commercial litigation, real estate litigation, bid protest, construction litigation, mechanics' liens, contract litigation, shareholder litigation, non-competition litigation, trademark and trade name litigation, and injunctions & restraining orders;
- Personal injury litigation, including construction accidents, motor vehicle accidents, nursing home negligence, premises liability, products liability, workplace accidents and wrongful death;
- Criminal defense, including assault, motor vehicle offenses, environmental crimes, narcotics offenses and white collar crime.
Carl may also be contacted through his paralegal, Lynn Della Torre, at 401-751-1500, Ext. 114 - [email protected].
Carl served as a prosecutor for the Rhode Island Department of Attorney General for over ten years, where he successfully prosecuted murder, arson, driving fatality, narcotics and weapons offenses, environmental crimes and white collar crimes. His successful trials include State v. Wayne Wright, first degree murder conviction for the death of a seventy year old woman; State v. Jose Garcia, felony murder conviction for the deaths of six family members; State v. Robert Chiellini, first degree murder conviction for the stabbing death of his girlfriend; State v. Frederick Wilding, second degree murder conviction for the death of his baby; State v. Angel Suero, kidnapping and first degree child molestation conviction through the use of DNA evidence. Carl also served as co-counsel in the prosecution of the murder of a Providence police officer. Carl began his legal career in 1985 as a Staff Counsel for the United States House of Representatives, Subcommittee on Legislation and National Security.
Carl's notable experience includes the following:
- $1,625,000.00 as compensation for personal injuries suffered in a car accident.
- $600,000.00 as compensation for personal injuries suffered in a car accident.
- $420,000.00 as compensation for personal injuries suffered in a workplace accident.
- Lead counsel for successful prosecution of claim for injuries to a child from a defective gas fireplace.
- Successful defense of parking lot lease in Superior Court and Supreme Court, 1112 Charles, LP V. Fornell Entertainment, Inc. 159A3D619 (RI 2017)
- Lead counsel for successful defense of six million dollar shareholder derivative claim.
- Lead counsel for successful lawsuits enjoining the use of clients' trademarks and trade names.
- Lead counsel for successful prosecution and defense of claims of violations of employment agreements and non-competition agreements.
- Lead counsel for successful lawsuits and mechanics' lien actions on behalf of homeowners, contractors and material suppliers.
- Lead counsel for successful lawsuit against an investment company based upon claims of breach of fiduciary duty and misrepresentation.
- Lead counsel for successful lawsuit against a stock brokerage firm based upon claims of breach of fiduciary duty.
- Lead counsel for successful lawsuit to rescind the purchase of a condominium based upon claims of breach of warranty and misrepresentation.
- Lead counsel for successful lawsuit to compel the sale of commercial real estate.
- Lead counsel for successful defense of an attorney charged with white collar crime offenses.
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- Business Litigation
- Construction Litigation
- Personal Injury
- Criminal Defense
- Rhode Island, 1985
- Massachusetts, 1986
- District of Columbia, 1986
- U.S. District Court District of Rhode Island, 1987
- U.S. District Court District of Massachusetts, 2010
- Boston University School of Law, Boston, Massachusetts
- J.D. - 1985
- University of Rhode Island , Kingston, Rhode Island
- B.A. - 1982
- Honors: cum laude
- Major: Political Science & English
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Rhode Island Bar Association, Member
- Massachusetts Bar Association, Member
- Rhode Island Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- Rhode Island Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys, Member
- National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys, Member
Past Employment Positions
- Armstrong, Gibbons & Gnys, LLP, Partner
- Rhode Island Department of Attorney General, Assistant Attorney General